Saturday, June 20, 2009

Yep - I'm Insane

"Dad, we saw you running before, on the way home," said my 11 year-old daughter.

She had been in the car, with my wife and son, on the way back from a store.

"Where?" I asked.

"On Greenbrook Road."

"How come I didn't see you? Which way was I going?"

"Towards home."

So they came up from behind me while I was concentrating on the road surface to avoid stepping on small pebbles and random road scree, which has been worse than Jersey-normal because of the huge amounts of rain we have been experiencing for two weeks.

"How come you didn't wave out the window and beep?"

"Because you're insane," my 15 year-old son chimed in.

"Why do you say that?" I asked.

"Because you were barefoot and wearing short shorts and running in the rain," he answered.  And he is a developing runner and he goes barefoot a lot - but not when he runs.

"I see - and you make it a practice to not beep at insane people?" I asked rhetorically...

I proceeded to explain how they should not conclude I was crazy.  That instead they should be impressed with my abilities. I told them that what I was doing took an extremely high level of skill, concentration, core strength, posture & balance - not to mention the fitness to keep this up for an hour and a half....
But it fell on deaf ears as they were back concentrating on the X-Box.

No comments: