Sunday, October 12, 2008

Training: October 6 - 12, 2008


I also pasted my month of training so far at Alpinezone.com, where I am a regular forum poster.  The thread is "The 08-09 Workout Thread".  Another regular poster responded, "you are a maniac."  I wish I was - more long runs are needed, as well as some strength workouts.  I responded:
Thank you, GSS! 

Everything is relative. Multiple daily workouts can become a grind and a distraction to productivity in other areas of one's life. I try and fit them in, commuting by bike, running during my kids soccer practice, for example. I have been an endurance machine for 35 years (16 marathons, countless shorter running & multisport races). It is almost discouraging when you realize you have to put in at least a moderate workout everyday just to maintain the fitness level you are at, while aging conspires to pull you down. AZers looking forward to ski season might take motivation from realizing the more "out of shape" a person is, the easier it is for them to make visible gains.

My training lacks strength workouts right now. I usually cut them in after running a fall marathon, and continue through the ski season.

I really believe that for recreational skiers, endurance trumps strength any day. Because here is what I see: Typically, when out west, I am at the bottom of mogul runs waiting for people who have to stop every 100 yards to catch their breath. In the east, at the end of the day, I am the one taking the last chair when my friends and family have legs that are toasted by 3:30.

No comments: