Thursday, October 27, 2011

Why I love Injinji

I have complaints about socks:
  1. They start nicely packaged and fit well.
  2. They go through some washes, then don't fit so well.
  3. They get lost in the wash, lost in the drawer, lost in the gym bag.
  4. They get worn out where you need them most.
  5. They get holes and they are done.
 Of the 4 items above, my Injinji socks have only been subject to #1.

Is it the toes that keep them fitting well? Is it the toes that keep them from wearing hard in only select spots?  Or is it simply their quality?

The answers to those rhetorical questions probably do not matter.  The overriding fact is that the Injinji sock works well for runners.  They allow your toes to splay out naturally, especially when wearing your minimal shoes, such as VFF's and Merrell Barefoot models.  I feel that the separation of the toes allows the foot to flex more naturally.  For long runs, the Injinji never folds or flattens or bunches, even when the going is wet or extra sweaty.

I have three pairs of Injinji socks.  I use the thinnest, Performance Lightweight No-Show toe socks when I want the best technical performance in Vibram FiveFingers or in Merrell Barefoot shoes.  It is better than being barefoot in these minimal runners.  I use them for races and shorter trail runs. I have a pair of Original Weight toe socks, mini-crew, that I use for longer trail runs because they keep the trail junk from going down the gaps around my ankles and Achilles tendons.  For everyday road runs, I use the midweight toe socks.

No comments: