Sunday, September 11, 2011
I could run today
I have been away from running. I have taken the last 6 weeks off from running, except for on 10K run for the LIVESTRONG Challenge. My last run was the River to Sea Relay on July 30, 2011. I ran that 10K on August 20, and it hurt like hell. I wonder if that one run, followed the next day by a century ride with over 4000 feet of climbing, hurt the recovery of my troublesome left ankle. I was taking off because I was convinced that the pain in my left ankle was a Navicular bone stress fracture. I knew I was continuing to do it damage by running XC races through July, as well as by running River to Sea. I was entered in Escarpment Trail Run, but I bagged it in favor of stopping the damage. That was a big sacrifice; it would have been my 7th straight, and I was already entered. But that is not an event to do on a stress fractured ankle. I limped and iced throughout the month of August. I used an Aircast ankle stirrup as much as I could during that month. In the first couple of weeks of September I was still feeling enough pain to limp a little, but I stopped using the stirrup and I stopped icing. In the meantime, I have been riding massive cycling mileage to make up for the lack of running, and to make sure my injury was getting more circulation to enhance healing. I set the goal of coming out of the running break in better cardiovascular condition than I went into it. I feel I am succeeding at that goal. Here are my mileage totals for the last 6 weeks on the bike: 149, 150, 107, 115, 204, 260. Definitely a couple of lifetime personal records there. That 260 of last week might be even longer than I ever went back in my 1985-1995 triathlon days. Amazingly, last week was also a breakthrough in the ankle pain. I am not limping, but I am still feeling a little pain. It no longer feels like a stress fracture, but is back to feeling like a connective tissue issue. Yesterday, I was confident and excited enough to enter the Philadelphia Half-Marathon, which is November 20, because I am sure that I will have enough time to come back and train for it. So I am feeling that I could run today, but I am not sure if I should. I am thinking I should wait another 2 weeks, just to be sure, and to start running again with absolutely no pain, instead of just a little. Decisions, decisions.
Posted by Thinnmann at 9/11/2011 11:35:00 PM